Spring 2015 Meeting of the Wisconsin Archeological Society
Saturday, April 25, 2015
Aldo Leopold Legacy Center (Website)
E13701 Levee Rd, Baraboo WI 53913
Map and Directions - Note that this is NOT the Aldo Leopold Nature Center in Monona
Schedule of Events:
Sandwiches provided by: Great Harvest Bread Co. (Sub type sandwiches.)
We are asking for $5.00 for anyone who will eat and there will be enough food for about 30 people. Soda, water, and chips, and cookies will be available too.
Jim Nepstad, Superintendent of Effigy Mounds National Monument will be giving a presentation about the mound management experiences at the Effigy Mounds.
Following Jim Nepstad's presentation we will have a moderated discussion to gather ideas from the participants for future mound management meetings. Specifically we will be looking for topics to cover, formats to consider such as seminars, workshops, site visits, meetings or full-blown conferences, where to host such gatherings, and finally when such gatherings would be useful. Based on these ideas, a work-group will put together to develop the next event.
We will conduct a round table discussion with participants from the 1st mound site preservation conference/workshop, and any interested parties who come to the meeting, which was held in 2014 at Muscoda.
We will discuss where we want to take this conference/workshop into the future as a group and what the goals will be. We will also visit the Stage Road, Wisconsin River, and Newport effigy mound sites in the area
Later in the afternoon we will visit one or more effigy mound sites near the Leopold Center.
Camping: Some meeting participants will be camping overnight at Devils Lake State Park on Saturday night after the meeting. All are welcome to join us.
Board Officer Reports:
1. Secretary Report – Jake Pfaffenroth
B. Approval of previous fall 2014 meeting minutes.
2. Treasury Report – Jake Rieb will not be in attendance (President Sampson will read report.)
A. Discussion of 2015 budget.
B. Approval of Budget.
1. Editorial Committee - Connie Arzigian and Kathy Stevenson
2. Education and Outreach Committee – Jaremy Cobble
3. Elections/Nominations Committee – John Broihahn
4. Preservation of Sites Committee – Rob Nurre
5. Awards Committee – Heather Walder (heather will not be present-I will read her report)
6. Multi-Media Committee – Jake Pfaffenroth
7. Programs and publicity Committee – Jennifer Picard and Rachel McTavish
Chapter Presidents Reports: If Any
1. Rock River
2. Charles E. Brown
5. UW-La Crosse
6. Three Rivers/Beloit
1. Old Business
Milwaukee Chapter Discussion
2. New Business
1. Discussion of Possible Amendments to WAS By-Laws (Need Quorum)
Goal: Designation of a by-laws amendment committee.
- Proposed Amendments must be posted on the society website for 30 days in advance of a vote for membership review.
Review and discuss: The general wording of certain articles to reflect current state of society.
- Article I Section 2.
- Article 2 Section 3.
- Article 4 Section 2 Define Executive Board
- Article 5 Sections 1 & 2 & 3 (Wording)
- Article 6 Section 3 Business Agent
- Article 11 Section 2.
- Article 11 Section 7.
2. Discussion of Election of At-Large Advisors to Board (Article VI Section I) (Review this) Plan for elections at fall 2015 meeting.
2. Discussion of any Special events planning for Archaeology Month and 2015